Morehouse Parish possesses all that’s needed for a
healthy, active and safe lifestyle plus an array of scenic and outdoor
recreation opportunities. These include hunting, fishing, water sports,
camping and biking. In addition, the northeast Louisiana area is rich
with museums, historical sites and other cultural activities. Life is
relaxing, sincere and secure, with all the metro attractions in Monroe
approximately 20 minutes away.
The hospitals and medical facilities in Morehouse Parish
and surrounding area have grown with the medical needs of the
region. Morehouse General Hospital has
nearly 40 physicians on staff offering expertise in numerous
specializations, and there is also a rehabilitation facility and
retirement manor in the parish.
The Northeast region is home to two universities that
not only provide a broad curriculum, but research institutions that are
the catalyst for business start-ups and expansions. The University of Louisiana at Monroe and the Louisiana Tech University
have an enrollment of nearly 20,000 students in such degree programs
as business, pharmacy, chemistry, and nursing as well as research in
the areas of micro manufacturing, biomedical engineering, pharmacy and
Additional training can be found at Louisiana Delta Community College ,
which offers six community and technical college campuses in a 12
parish region. In addition to regular curriculum, the Bastrop Campuses offers specialized training programs for workforce
For more information, visit the Workforce page.
- Electricity – Entergy, Northeast LA Power Coop
- Natural Gas – Atmos Energy LA
- Water – Municipalities; People’s Water Service; community systems
- Sewerage – City of Bastrop; Villages & Private
- Telephone - CenturyLink; AT&T/BellSouth; NorthEastTel
- Fiber Optic – Fiber optic infrastructure in the parish and region along I-20, U.S. Hwy. 425 and U.S. Hwy 80
- Bastrop Country Club
- Bayou Bend Golf Course
- Ouachita River
- Bayou Bartholomew
- Bonne Idee Bayou
- Bussey Brake Reservoir
- Wham Brake
- Crawfish Festival
- Music on Main Street
- Black History Parade
- ‘Strop City Blues Festival
- North Louisiana Cotton Festival and Fair
- Bastrop Fall Arts & Crafts Festival
The quality of life and modest living costs in
Morehouse Parish make it a fine place in which to retire, whether it is
on the water or on some of the thousands of undeveloped acreage.
Why not take advantage of what the parish offers retirees:
- 20 miles to Monroe, a major metro area;
- 20 minutes to Interstate-20;
- 25 minutes to a regional airport;
- Low property taxes;
- A moderate climate;
- Activities such as hunting, fishing, golfing, and historical parks and other sites;
- 7 hospitals and other medical care in the region including numerous specialists;
- (4) four-year and (2) two-year colleges and universities in the region;
- Affordable housing and land;
- Close proximity to shopping including Simmon’s a major sportsman’s store in Bastrop; and
- Employment opportunities if desired.
Morehouse Parish fairs well in comparison to similar
communities across the southeastern U.S. in terms of cost of living and
amenities it offers to retirees.
And so does the state of Louisiana. The state
has consistently maintained a very high “retiree friendly” rating among
the states in Bloomberg’s Personal Finance Magazine.
In 2000, 2001, and 2002 it ranked 2nd in "tax friendliness” for
retirees and in 2000 and 2001 was ranked 8th and 7th in overall “wealth
friendliness. “ (SOURCE: Retire Louisiana, Retirement Ready Community: Self-Assessment and Planning Handbook, October 2002)
Morehouse Tourism Commission
Morehouse-Bastrop Chamber of Commerce
- The Chamber is a non-profit action association designed to
advance the interests of the community and work together to make
Morehouse Parish a better place to live, work and play.
Bastrop Main Street,
City of Bastrop Main Street Program developed and maintains a truly
revitalized downtown with businesses, shopping, farmer’s market and
Visitor's Center - Tourist Information and conference center, near downtown Bastrop.
Louisiana Main to Main - Annual November event throughout Louisiana, showcasing Main Street Communities, including Bastrop.
Morehouse Parish on NELEA
- Morehouse Parish profiled on the Northeast Louisiana Economic
Alliance, a 13-parish regional entity focused on growth in the region
including parish, city and state contact information, education,
recreation, healthcare and more in the region.
Louisiana Department of Culture, Recreation and Tourism
- The Lt. Governor of Louisiana oversees the division of
culture, recreation and tourism, including all the resources and
activities throughout the state.